Holiday 2020 will be unlike one we’ve ever seen with consumers shopping differently this holiday season due to the ongoing threat of COVID-19. Pandemic restrictions are still in place, which has caused retail stores to limit capacity, implement strict safety protocols, and shorten their hours of operation.
While there’s no crystal ball as to how this season will shake out, we surveyed more than 2,500 consumers to gain insights into how a fast-changing health situation will affect holiday shopping behaviors in 2020. One thing is clear: consumers are moving away from shopping in-store and plan to shop online to find the best deals.
Here’s a quick look at the key findings:
Keep calm and shop online
- Nearly 70% of respondents will NOT be going out to stores on Black Friday.
- 71% are waiting for online Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals to begin their holiday shopping.
- Over 72% are more likely to shop (online) at a retailer that closes on Thanksgiving marking it as a return to a family-first holiday for employees by many major retailers.
Product availability will bring consumers’ joy this holiday
- 70% of respondents have product availability and product assortment at the top of their list when deciding where to shop this season.
- Many consumers (35%) have experienced out–of–stocks this year, which has them worried they may experience this again during holiday peak.
Staying safe is a priority
- 83% of respondents are doing most of their holiday shopping online to keep up with social distancing practices.
- Most consumers (81%) will only shop in person at stores that require mask mandates.
- More than 68% of respondents do not think it’s safe for parents to let their children visit Santa Claus at a store this year.
The 2020 gift-giving season is shifting to a digital holiday as consumers turn to the safety and convenience of ecommerce. To make this peak season successful, retailers need to be sure that products are in-stock and that they’re offering a wide assortment of items to give consumers the best experience.
They can do this cost-effectively with a digital supply chain that enables them to optimize it for each customer transaction in a capital-efficient way so they can offer and deliver an endless product assortment via any channel at any time and ensure an exceptional customer experience. CommerceHub can help you digitize your supply chain. Contact your client executive to learn more.
For more holiday 2020 shopping insights, download the CommerceHub 2020 Holiday Shopping Trends survey here.