Product Data Analyst
CommerceHub is a leading provider of cloud-based ecommerce fulfillment and marketing solutions for large retailers, marketplaces, consumer brands and their suppliers. We are a melting pot of highly skilled individuals from various disciplines all working towards a common goal: supporting our partners to get their customers what they want, fast. We are constantly on the lookout for creative, fun and hardworking people who enjoy coming to work and doing what they love. If that sounds like you, keep reading!
The CommerceHub Product Data Analyst (BI) is a critical member of the CommerceHub Business Intelligence BI Team (BI Team). She/he will directly contribute to the achievement of BI Team goals.
BI Team Goals
The BI Team is the primary provider of official internal and external reporting and analysis, coordinating with reporting/analysis initiatives in other parts of the company to ensure consistent use, application, and meaning of data and metrics. The BI Team develops and maintains the core competencies of deriving unique insights at scale from data captured on CommerceHub and related 3rd parties, and monetizes insights via benchmarks, best practices, retailer, supplier/brand and product data.
The BI Team is responsible for the ownership and delivery of all major internal analytics and consolidated business reporting for varied internal customers, including the executive team, finance, sales, product management, corporate development and others. Reports and deliverables include:
- internal executive dashboards for Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- internal business reports, including account health, etc.
- Client Executive reports, including Quarterly Business Review (QBR) data, aggregate reports
- metrics useful to Marketing Managers
- internal ad hoc analysis, insight exploration
The BI Team supports other internal operational and business practices with business intelligence and analytics regarding:
- merchandising group support
- product category analysis
- supply chain and logistics analysis
- fulfillment optimization opportunity analysis
- product and sales analysis
- cross-channel analytics and optimization
- consumer insights
- research and development support
The BI Team helps to identify and contribute to the development of new ways to monetize existing CommerceHub data, including:
- customer-facing dashboards, scorecards and reports
- development and delivery of predictive analytics for external consumption
- prototyping new ways to monetize our data with new products/services
The BI Team owns and implements CommerceHub’s data governance policy, specifically with respect to reports it generates from a centralized warehouse. To the greatest extent possible, internally consumed reports will flow through the BI Team to ensure compliance with this governance framework. CommerceHub’s data governance policy addresses:
- who owns what data in the company
- what is the authoritative source of each data element
- who can change what data
- who can see what data
- implementation of controls
- audit compliance
The BI Team is the official data steward of CommerceHub and is responsible for the integrity of the data backing internal and external BI-owned analysis products. The BI Team serves as the central clearinghouse for data definitions and quality. While metrics and reports may be generated outside the BI Team we should be involved to signs off on these metrics to ensure consistent semantics and accurate implementation. Further, the BI Team coordinates deciding and communicating any changes in data upstream of or within the data warehouse.
The BI Team is responsible for ensuring numbers across different systems tie out and balance, generally:
- clearly and unambiguously defining data elements and documenting their origin
- establishing official definitions of and documenting what metrics mean
- establishing a warehouse feed mapping, scheduling and recovery process
- making sure data is balanced and ties out
- ensuring new data does not conflict with existing data elements
- establishing common libraries
- defining change management processes and protecting the data from unauthorized access or change
The BI Team builds, owns, and constantly augments and refines internal fact and dimension tables used to support merchandising, marketing, supply chain and other initiatives. These data sets include, but are not limited to:
- supplier/brand database
- externally-purchased data
- consumer buying data
- any other re-sellable data sets
Finally, the BI Team owns and manages the relationship with any CommerceHub data warehouse provider.
Product Data Analyst (BI) Responsibilities
The primary responsibility of the Product Data Analyst (BI) is to strategically design, develop, maintain and enhance robust tools and processes that drive CommerceHub’s ability to quickly and efficiently analyze and derive insights at a product level. Deliverables include, but are not limited to: product categorization, CommerceHub taxonomy management and cross-identifier product indexing (aka CHIN).
Where predictive analytics are utilized, the Product Data Analyst (BI) owns the coordination of scoring activities and the tracking of any scoring results. At any point in time when a predictive system is in production that system shall have a reliable and up-to-date evaluation of accuracy.
The Product Data Analyst (BI) is also expected to work with the various consumers of product-level data to develop accurate, insightful and intuitive output. This can be through direct involvement in report development, collaboration with members of the BI Team or knowledge transfer to advanced users across the business.
The Product Data Analyst (BI) is also expected to do the following:
- Consistently collaborate with technical and business stakeholders to achieve success.
- Be available to respond to ad hoc reporting requests within a reasonable time frame.
- Speak to an audience of CommerceHub leadership or customer representatives about system design and output reliability.
Product Data Analyst (BI) Qualifications
Successful candidates will meet the following requirements:
- Understanding of retail data at a product level including product taxonomy management
- Have at least 5 years of experience
- developing reports and analytics that drive retail business decisions
- using SQL or other advanced database or warehousing systems
- Experience working with cross-functional teams, and able to effect change throughout the organization
- Capable of summarizing findings that influence important decisions by clearly articulating strategy and business impacts
- Familiar with complex software applications
- Extensive task management, communication (written and verbal), teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Advanced SQL Server and t-sql skills
- Familiarity with SQ Server Integration Services and SQL Server Reporting Services
- Knowledge of ETL concepts
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel
- Ability to travel occasionally as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Information Systems
- Knowledge of basic interface design concepts
- Ability to work outside normal business hours. This is an exempt position. While we seek to limit work commitments outside normal business hours, your personal situation must enable you to work on whatever schedule is necessary to meet critical commitments.
Additionally, knowledge of and/or experience with the following is a plus:
- Familiarity with AWS products and services
CommerceHub HQ is located in Albany, NY in the ZEN building (the largest zero energy-capable, mixed use building in the US) with a game room (bubble hockey or ping pong, anyone?) and on-site cafeteria. The CommerceHub West office in Seattle, WA has stellar views and is steps from Pike Place Market. Our UK office is in historic Hertford, 20 miles north of London.
CommerceHub goes beyond medical, dental and vision benefits provided upon hire to make it convenient to prioritize your health. Meditation rooms, on-site yoga classes, an indoor walking course, local farm food delivery, a flexible spending account, company-funded life insurance/disability and more round out our dynamic health and wellness program. Employees are eligible to join our 401(k) program upon hire. The plan offers a competitive 100% match on the first 6% you contribute to your 401(k), subject to vesting. We also offer tuition assistance to support employees seeking to grow in their careers and enhance their job knowledge. We also have cold brew on tap, bagel Fridays, a casual dress code and employee recognition programs.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Authorization to work in the United States is a requirement for this role. CommerceHub does not provide visa sponsorship.