Software Engineering Manager
CommerceHub has been a leader in the ecommerce space for years, helping retailers and brands to Keep Growing. Our team is comprised of talented individuals from a wide range of industry leading companies such as Amazon, eBay, Microsoft, IBM, Yahoo, GE, and more. We're a group of highly driven experts making a difference, whether they are seasoned veterans, or talented millennials establishing themselves. We are always looking for great personalities to grow with us and contribute to our success.
The Manager of Software Engineering will join a strong team of engineering leaders at CommerceHub, in our Albany, NY office. We’re looking for someone who is eager to step in as a leader, understand and shape the Agile and Lean processes we follow, and can help drive the technology and product direction of the company. This person must be comfortable working with the business, QA team, and operations as partners to provide the best possible result for our customers.
This individual will be leading software engineers from 1 to 3 cross-functional product teams, and will be charged with providing guidance and mentoring to team members, being an active part of cross-team communication, and removing obstacles from product teams to ensure success.
The Manager of Software Engineering is responsible for:
- Leading teams of highly-creative software professionals in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Understanding and driving Lean, Systems Thinking software engineering principals
- Recruiting and hiring for team growth
- Personal mentoring of team members, and establishing and maintaining a practice within the team of all senior individuals mentoring those junior to them
- Establishing best practices for software engineering to ensure high-quality services that can be easily run in production
- Collaborating with architects and other technology leaders to help drive the direction of technology within the team and the company
- Establishing a culture of continual learning and quality across the organization
- Monitoring high-level projects to ensure in-flight projects are on track
- Dropping down to a low level, when needed, to help direct project teams and keep projects on course
Successful candidates for the position must meet the following requirements:
- BA degree in related field or 5+ years in a development role, with 3 years as a Team Lead or Supervisor
- Development background should have strong roots in a Java environment, or similar environment
- Understanding of internet application architecture, including web services, database technologies, and SOA/Micro Services architecture
- Passion for creating and maintaining excellent services, with a strong understanding of what it takes to run a mission critical, 24x7 service with high availability
- Experience with Continuous Delivery techniques and tools a plus
- Significant hands-on experience in project management using Agile/Lean development methodologies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, and problem solving abilities
- Passion, resourcefulness, and dedication are a must to succeed
The Team & Culture
- Our team is comprised of very talented and highly-motivated individuals, who pride themselves on working smarter.
- We’re empowered to make local decisions, reducing the overhead of getting things done.
- We aim for operational excellence, are undergoing a transition to a DevOps culture and a “you build it, you run it” mentality.
- We favor a Lean approach to our product development, following the tenets of Kanban for workflow management, and to keep our Work In Process at a minimum.
About CommerceHub Engineering
The engineering group at CommerceHub employs some of the top engineering talent in the area. We’re constantly working to improve on processes, quality, and techniques, with the goal of producing the highest quality software solutions in the industry. The lines between traditional QA and software engineering are blurred here, with quality being considered at all stages of development.
In an effort to move towards Continuous Delivery, we’re actively shifting our mindset from that of a large, monolithic organization to many smaller, more independent teams, who govern their own particular domains. Leveraging a Service-Oriented Architecture, our smaller, independent teams will enable us to deliver features to market sooner, at greatly reduced risk.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Authorization to work in the United States is a requirement for this role. CommerceHub will not provide visa sponsorship.Apply for this Job