A Company You Can Grow With
CommerceHub is a tech melting pot of highly skilled individuals from various disciplines all working towards a common goal: supporting our partners to get their customers what they want, fast. We are constantly on the lookout for creative, fun and hardworking people who enjoy coming to work and doing what they love.
Senior Software Architect
CommerceHub has been a leader in the ecommerce space for years, helping retailers and brands to Keep Growing. Our team is comprised of talented individuals from a wide range of industry leading companies such as Amazon, eBay, Microsoft, IBM, Yahoo, GE, and more. We're a group of highly driven experts making a difference, whether they are seasoned veterans, or talented millennials establishing themselves. We are always looking for great personalities to grow with us and contribute to our success.
As a Senior Software Architect for CommerceHub, you will have the opportunity to help build large-scale systems that power a significant portion of e-commerce in the U.S. Your designs will be critical to most of the large U.S. retail brands. This position will require you to understand a suite of applications within the overall CommerceHub solution. You will be a technical advisor on those applications and assist in setting the direction for their continued development and expansion. Along with the rest of the architecture team, you will contribute to the overall development of the CommerceHub technology suite and the core underlying architecture.
You will collaborate closely with engineering and product management to guide the direction of our technical systems, finding the appropriate balance between customer value, timeliness, flexibility, maintainability, scalability, efficiency, affordability, and a variety of other quality attributes. You will work hands-on with our engineering team, guiding and mentoring staff on approaches and techniques to solve problems and improve their practice of software development.
We believe a key to our success is the tutoring of others. While the role does not include direct reports, as a Senior Software Architect for CommerceHub you will help develop other architects and software engineers through formal and informal means. We believe in effecting change through influence, not authority, and rely on our skills, experience and communication to do so.
We are seeking a Senior Software Architect with 8+ years of experience designing and building large multi-tenant applications. Strong software engineering skills are a must. While we welcome professionals with technical experience in any modern stack, we primarily develop on the Java, Node.js, and .NET platforms.
About CommerceHub Architecture
The architecture group at CommerceHub is a small team with big impact. Each member of the team has extensive software engineering experience, possesses strong systematic insight, and has earned the respect of their peers. We have large challenges ahead of us, but also a steady string of successes to power our journey forward.
You are the type of person who understands the importance of good, consistent advice to the long-term success of software applications and the teams that build them. You know how to empower someone with your knowledge without constraining them with your biases. You are a lifelong learner who can accept that the truth you held a year ago may now be a falsehood. You appreciate that the success of software depends as much on what happens after a commit as it does on everything that leads up to it.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with co-workers to maintain awareness of upcoming and in-progress efforts, and influencing their direction.
- Collaborating with product management and engineering to guide the direction of our technical systems, both existing and new.
- Guiding the company through the process of making appropriate trade-offs between timeliness, flexibility, maintainability, scalability, efficiency, affordability, and a variety of other quality attributes.
- Researching new software technology concepts and tools to make informed recommendations, utilizing prototypes when appropriate.
- Designing customer-facing applications leveraging modern web technologies.
- Designing supporting services leveraging cloud capabilities.
- Reviewing and providing feedback on designs from other architects and engineers.
- Collaborating with CommerceHub engineering to establish architectural standards and ensure they are understood and followed.
- Mentoring engineers on approaches to solve problems and improve their practice of software development.
- Identifying and quantifying technical debt and promoting solutions to eliminate it.
- Periodically presenting architectural subject matter presentations within CommerceHub.
- No travel is required.
- This is a non-managerial/non-supervisory role with no direct reports.
A typical week may involve
- Proposing new technical solutions or processes to engineering and product leadership.
- Prototyping or bootstrapping a new application, microservice, or technical approach.
- Documenting new or existing architecture concepts.
- Tutoring software engineers and other architects.
- Collaborating with product managers and engineers to establish functional and non-functional requirements.
- Facilitating the adoption of AWS services and technologies by CommerceHub.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field and 8+ years related professional experience.
- 2+ years of experience focused on software design and/or architecture required.
- Strong written communication skills required.
- Strong verbal communication and presentation skills required.
- Demonstrated leadership skills required.
- Strong JVM or .NET experience required.
- Public cloud (AWS/Azure/etc.) experience is beneficial.
- Relational database development experience with any well-known RDBMS is beneficial.
- NoSQL experience is beneficial.
- Experience with agile or iterative development with frequent releases in a SaaS environment is a strong advantage.
- Experience with Linux container technologies is a strong advantage.
- Experience with stream processing is beneficial.
Authorization to work in the United States is a requirement for this role. CommerceHub will not provide visa sponsorship.Apply for this Job
I recently joined CommerceHub after spending 15 years working for a large corporation. I have yet to look back. There is so much energy and focus here at CommerceHub and the people are fantastic!Dave Phillips Senior Manager, Business Intelligence
CommerceHub is a place where dedication, hard work and passion are encouraged and highly valued. I have been able to grow and learn from my team year after year – they will always have your back no matter what.
Shreya Jivani Acting Lead Software Engineer
Sixteen years ago I started my career with a promising start up. Sixteen years later, there is no place I would rather be.Jay St. Gelais Staff Software Engineer
In college I interned at CommerceHub. During my recent job search, I was looking for a fast paced company that would provide me with a challenge and also work/life balance. I couldn’t think of a better place to work than CommerceHub!Chelsea Belmonte Manager, Internal Audit
I’ve grown more as a developer in the past year here at CommerceHub then I have over the rest of my 10 year career. The engineering team here is first-class: supportive, collaborative, and always moving forward.Andrew Blick UI/UX Solution Architect
CommerceHub’s a place where passion, dedication and hard work are highly valued. Surrounded by supportive and talented people, I’ve been able to build on my skills year after year.Carolyn Jaskolka Associate Product Manager
CommerceHub Engineering is an ever-evolving ecosystem. It is full of like-minded team members who support each other and embrace change. I am proud of the work we do and the sportsmanship my teammates show every day!Matt Mason Business Analyst
I joined CommerceHub after working for a large corporation and I have yet to regret my decision. CommerceHub is a great place for creating innovative solutions, making an impact, and building trusting relationships with teammates and clients.
Selina Heckendorf Director, Marketplace Performance
Growing and changing along with a company is important to me and that’s what is happening at CommerceHub. We are in the greatest period of advancement I have seen in my 11 years here and it’s really exciting.Travis Kostell Operations Business Analyst
Company Perks & Benefits
GENEROUS 401(K) PROGRAM WITH 6% MATCH
Upon hire, employees are eligible to participate in CommerceHub’s 401(k) program, and the company provides dollar-for-dollar matching contributions on up to 6% of eligible compensation (subject to vesting).
COMPREHENSIVE HEALTH & WELLNESS BENEFITS
From day one, employees are eligible for health, dental and vision insurance. In addition, CommerceHub actively supports the health of its employees through a wellness program that includes free onsite ﬁtness classes throughout the week, a meditation room, game room and more!
PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL GROWTH
On top of being packed with the most talented teammates around, employees are eligible for tuition reimbursement, training opportunities and leadership development. CommerceHub also supports the causes that are important to you – form a team and take a paid volunteer day, and have CommerceHub match up to $250 of charitable contributions each year!
We like to work hard and we love to have fun while doing it. Join us for regular onsite and offsite events like company picnics, hockey games, holiday parties and more. Join our softball team, our running and biking groups, or even our company band.
Want to know more about New York’s Tech Valley and why it’s an awesome place to live?
Watch the video!