A Company You Can Grow With
CommerceHub is a tech melting pot of highly skilled individuals from various disciplines all working towards a common goal: supporting our partners to get their customers what they want, fast. We are constantly on the lookout for creative, fun and hardworking people who enjoy coming to work and doing what they love.
Software Engineering Manager
CommerceHub has been a leader in the ecommerce space for years, helping retailers and brands to Keep Growing. Our team is comprised of talented individuals from a wide range of industry leading companies such as Amazon, eBay, Microsoft, IBM, Yahoo, GE, and more. We're a group of highly driven experts making a difference, whether they are seasoned veterans, or talented millennials establishing themselves. We are always looking for great personalities to grow with us and contribute to our success.
The Manager of Software Engineering will join a strong team of engineering leaders at CommerceHub, in our Albany, NY office. We’re looking for someone who is eager to step in as a leader, understand and shape the Agile and Lean processes we follow, and can help drive the technology and product direction of the company. This person must be comfortable working with the business, QA team, and operations as partners to provide the best possible result for our customers.
This individual will be leading software engineers from 1 to 3 cross-functional product teams, and will be charged with providing guidance and mentoring to team members, being an active part of cross-team communication, and removing obstacles from product teams to ensure success.
The Manager of Software Engineering is responsible for:
- Leading teams of highly-creative software professionals in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Understanding and driving Lean, Systems Thinking software engineering principals
- Recruiting and hiring for team growth
- Personal mentoring of team members, and establishing and maintaining a practice within the team of all senior individuals mentoring those junior to them
- Establishing best practices for software engineering to ensure high-quality services that can be easily run in production
- Collaborating with architects and other technology leaders to help drive the direction of technology within the team and the company
- Establishing a culture of continual learning and quality across the organization
- Monitoring high-level projects to ensure in-flight projects are on track
- Dropping down to a low level, when needed, to help direct project teams and keep projects on course
Successful candidates for the position must meet the following requirements:
- BA degree in related field or 5+ years in a development role, with 3 years as a Team Lead or Supervisor
- Development background should have strong roots in a Java environment, or similar environment
- Understanding of internet application architecture, including web services, database technologies, and SOA/Micro Services architecture
- Passion for creating and maintaining excellent services, with a strong understanding of what it takes to run a mission critical, 24x7 service with high availability
- Experience with Continuous Delivery techniques and tools a plus
- Significant hands-on experience in project management using Agile/Lean development methodologies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, and problem solving abilities
- Passion, resourcefulness, and dedication are a must to succeed
The Team & Culture
- Our team is comprised of very talented and highly-motivated individuals, who pride themselves on working smarter.
- We’re empowered to make local decisions, reducing the overhead of getting things done.
- We aim for operational excellence, are undergoing a transition to a DevOps culture and a “you build it, you run it” mentality.
- We favor a Lean approach to our product development, following the tenets of Kanban for workflow management, and to keep our Work In Process at a minimum.
About CommerceHub Engineering
The engineering group at CommerceHub employs some of the top engineering talent in the area. We’re constantly working to improve on processes, quality, and techniques, with the goal of producing the highest quality software solutions in the industry. The lines between traditional QA and software engineering are blurred here, with quality being considered at all stages of development.
In an effort to move towards Continuous Delivery, we’re actively shifting our mindset from that of a large, monolithic organization to many smaller, more independent teams, who govern their own particular domains. Leveraging a Service-Oriented Architecture, our smaller, independent teams will enable us to deliver features to market sooner, at greatly reduced risk.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
I recently joined CommerceHub after spending 15 years working for a large corporation. I have yet to look back. There is so much energy and focus here at CommerceHub and the people are fantastic!Dave Phillips Senior Manager, Business Intelligence
CommerceHub is a place where dedication, hard work and passion are encouraged and highly valued. I have been able to grow and learn from my team year after year – they will always have your back no matter what.
Shreya Jivani Acting Lead Software Engineer
Sixteen years ago I started my career with a promising start up. Sixteen years later, there is no place I would rather be.Jay St. Gelais Staff Software Engineer
In college I interned at CommerceHub. During my recent job search, I was looking for a fast paced company that would provide me with a challenge and also work/life balance. I couldn’t think of a better place to work than CommerceHub!Chelsea Belmonte Manager, Internal Audit
I’ve grown more as a developer in the past year here at CommerceHub then I have over the rest of my 10 year career. The engineering team here is first-class: supportive, collaborative, and always moving forward.Andrew Blick UI/UX Solution Architect
CommerceHub’s a place where passion, dedication and hard work are highly valued. Surrounded by supportive and talented people, I’ve been able to build on my skills year after year.Carolyn Jaskolka Associate Product Manager
CommerceHub Engineering is an ever-evolving ecosystem. It is full of like-minded team members who support each other and embrace change. I am proud of the work we do and the sportsmanship my teammates show every day!Matt Mason Business Analyst
I joined CommerceHub after working for a large corporation and I have yet to regret my decision. CommerceHub is a great place for creating innovative solutions, making an impact, and building trusting relationships with teammates and clients.
Selina Heckendorf Director, Marketplace Performance
Growing and changing along with a company is important to me and that’s what is happening at CommerceHub. We are in the greatest period of advancement I have seen in my 11 years here and it’s really exciting.Travis Kostell Operations Business Analyst
Company Perks & Benefits
STOCK AWARD PROGRAM
Employees are eligible to participate in CommerceHub’s generous equity incentive program. Actual awards are made quarterly and are subject to Board approval, but new hires typically receive stock awards soon after their hire date.
GENEROUS 401(K) PROGRAM WITH 6% MATCH
Upon hire, employees are eligible to participate in CommerceHub’s 401(k) program, and the company provides dollar-for-dollar matching contributions on up to 6% of eligible compensation (subject to vesting).
EMPLOYEE STOCK PURCHASE PROGRAM
In addition to the stock award program, CommerceHub offers eligible employees the opportunity to purchase company stock directly from CommerceHub at a 15% discount to the market price.
COMPREHENSIVE HEALTH & WELLNESS BENEFITS
From day one, employees are eligible for health, dental and vision insurance. In addition, CommerceHub actively supports the health of its employees through a wellness program that includes free onsite ﬁtness classes throughout the week, a meditation room, game room and more!
PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL GROWTH
On top of being packed with the most talented teammates around, employees are eligible for tuition reimbursement, training opportunities and leadership development. CommerceHub also supports the causes that are important to you – form a team and take a paid volunteer day, and have CommerceHub match up to $250 of charitable contributions each year!
We like to work hard and we love to have fun while doing it. Join us for regular onsite and offsite events like company picnics, hockey games, holiday parties and more. Join our softball team, our running and biking groups, or even our company band.
Want to know more about New York’s Tech Valley and why it’s an awesome place to live?
Watch the video!